Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Computer Is A Computer Is A Computer Is A...

This is a computer. That has to be taken as a given; of course it is a computer, albeit a very small one. Admittedly, the keyboard takes some getting used to.

But it is a computer nonetheless.

There is a tendency, I believe, to think of things that have screens less than 12" (300mm) diagonal as gadgets. That's certainly not the case with my older computers, that was all they had at that time. The little 7" screen on this netbook puts it squarely in the gadgetary class. As I've written on my YesterData blog, many of these gadgets are the equal of computers just a few years old. In fact, this netbook is better than my beloved iBook clamshell. That should make it a computer.

But, in the eyes of many, it is still a gadget and not a computer.

I have my work cut out for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment